Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Zucchini Lasagna


I don't know about you but I love to make one big dish so that I don't have to cook for a couple of days. With the house to myself I made Zucchini lasagna and ate it four nights in a row. Yes it is that good! This is definitely my FAVOURITE way to eat lasagna! No pasta :)

Ingredients: 

3-4 zucchini sliced lengthwise
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 small onion
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
2-3 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 dried thyme
1/4 cup water
1/8 tsp pepper

1 egg
3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded

Use a 9x13. I used a 9x9 to make it this time but usually use the 9x13. Stick with that. The ratio of meat to zucchini in the 9x9 was to high for my liking :) 

Directions: 

1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Slice Zucchini lengthwise, coat with olive oil and lay on pan to pop into oven. Cook in oven approximately 25 minutes. Flipping the zucchini if needed.

2) Meanwhile, fry up beef, garlic and onions until meat is brown and onions are tender; Drain fat. 
3) Reduce heat. Add tomato paste, spices and water. Simmer 

4) In a separate container combine cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese and egg.

Then layer! I love layered things for some reason.. odd I know.

5) 1st layer - half of meat mixture
    2nd layer - half of the zucchini
    
   
3rd layer - all the cottage cheese



 4th layer - remaining meat mixture



5th layer - remaining zucchini (no pic, sorry)

Top with mozzarella cheese!


And Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lauren! I look forward to trying some of these recipes! Keep it up! : )

    ReplyDelete